Burney


5/2003. This building was the McCloud River Railroad’s Burney office and station. It is currently occupied by Fruit Growers Supply Company.



11/2002. The sign in front of the building still identifies the McCloud River Railroad, but Fruit Growers Supply Company has been added.



5/2003. This single-stall enginehouse is located behind the old station building. It was used to house the railroad’s Burney switcher from 1955 until about 1964, when the switcher was abolished and the daily train from McCloud started handling all local switching work in Burney. The shed was used by the Burney section crew for a number of years, and it now stands vacant.



11/2002. This vacant lot once held the Burney yard tracks. It was also the site of the 1955 golden spike ceremony celebrating the completion of the Burney branch. The railroad based a section crew out of this spot until about 1996, when it was abolished and all track maintenance was based out of McCloud. Most of the buildings (except for the shed in the center) were removed in the late 1990’s, and most of the yard tracks were removed in 2000. One long passing siding still exists where the railroad crosses the open field of grass in the distance. The site has been used as a reload only a handful of times, and trains very rarely operate to this point now.