McCloud River Railroad : Along the Line

Ash Creek Branch





This branch extended 12.31 miles from McCloud to the Ash Creek Mill, which had been built in 1891 and acquired by the McCloud River Lumber Company in 1896. The railroad offered common carrier service until 1903, when the Ash Creek mill burned. The McCloud companies maintained operations on the line for several years thereafter to haul the remaining raw logs out to McCloud. The railroad abandoned all but the first portion of the line (McCloud-Ash Creek Junction) prior to 1906 after the timber ran out. No information survives to indicate what facilities the railroad had on this line.




An overview of the Ash Creek Mill with a sring of McCloud River Railroad outfit cars visible at the lower left. Jeff Moore collection.